Laptop broke, no more SS13 for a few months

Discussion in 'General' started by Rocco Ward, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Rocco Ward

Rocco Ward Well-Known Member

Just letting a few people here know my laptop just broke. Doesn't look like it will be fixed anytime soon. My two options are either to buy a new computer or take it to a repair shop, both of which cost a good amount of $$$.

So for now I will be taking a long break from SS13. The same goes for my other projects as well. (Minecraft SS13 video series)

I really do hope I'm going to be able to recover the hard drive or else a ton of work will get lost... In the meantime I will be checking the forum every now and then on my iPhone so I will keep in touch.
    CaptnRogers likes this.
  2. CaptnRogers

CaptnRogers Active Member

i... but.. ohhh. how much. what you do to break it man.
  3. Black Jack

Black Jack LS13 Admin

Define broken, a hefty amount of players are tech savvy, maybe we could help you.
    CaptnRogers likes this.
  4. I know how to turn off and back on the computer, perhaps I could help?
  5. Snow5445

Snow5445 Guest

You should try to get ahold of atherman. Though he has not really been around in years. YEARS!!! you will have to do a summoning ritual.
  6. Rocco Ward

Well from the looks of it the startup file(s) are fucked. Meaning it won't properly boot up. I'm using windows and I know about system restore, but I can't access it.

Either two things could have happened: I turned off my antivirus for about a month to play an online game. Recently before it crashed I was browsing literotica for inspiration/ideas for SQ. This could have resulted in a virus but most of those sites were purely text/forums. Other possibility is that some of the hardware under my [i*] key got damaged. (My [i*] key is completely gone and I have to smash it for the input to register)

I'm guesstimating the repair cost will be between $50-$200. It's going to take me two or three months to get enough money b/c I need to pay off some prior debts first.
  7. MiziBooBoo

MiziBooBoo Guest

So...Have you tried beating? Whenever something of mine acts up I stomp on it, kick it, then throw it against the wall. Works everytime.
  8. SgtKumar

SgtKumar Perseus Commander #005 and Perseus Enforcer #023

I have an older copy of Seduction quest. Do you suppose you'll need it?
  9. Rocco Ward

Probably. No idea how long/if Dropbox DLs will stay/exist with the laptop gone.
  10. CaptnRogers

CaptnRogers Active Member

Have you tried turning it off then on or have you tired checking the power cord? (hehehe)

The I key would probably be over the ram. (really depends on the make and model of the machine. I really doubt that would have took out anything unless your beating the hell out of it in which maybe the hard drive is fucked.

so that doesn't tell me much. does it make it to the boot process or even power up. Does it do anything to be honest. I mean how far does it get before it craps out cause if it doesn't power up its something wrong with the battery/ power supply if the screen is blank then it might be the screen/ graphics card. could also be a problem with the hard drive which sucks but is replaceable. If it makes it through the boot process it may be a problem with windows and if it freezes at the windows logo then it could possibly be a virus.

If its not making it past boot it probably is a hardware issue if it does then its probably a software issue. not always true but close enough. Also where there any updates or where you playing with any drivers or what not before the computer started having problems (you didnt drop it recently or anything right?)

Also seeing that we are making this a help rocco get his computer fixed thread could you tell us the computer specs make model os and stuff.

more info would be nice (please note this is not a full list of problems and screw you if im wrong on something cause im tired and bleh...)
  11. Jayce Wise

Jayce Wise Head LS13 Admin Staff Member

12. Rocco Ward

Going to try the boot up USB trick and see what happens! Thanks everyone for your help and support!

And the basic specs: windows 7 with Samsung laptop. More details later, g2g.
    CaptnRogers and Jayce Wise like this.
  13. Jawn Mancer

Jawn Mancer LS13 Admin

Heh, oh god, reminds me of a year or two back, my hard-drive fried and I couldn't afford to repair/replace it. Ended up running my entire computer off a 8gb usb stick for four months. Using a linux OS. I was so confused constantly.
    zt107 and Jayce Wise like this.
  14. WellingtonTheThird

WellingtonTheThird Well-Known Member

I hate to hear that, Rocco. Hopefully you'll be back in action before long at all.

o7 Good luck.